Pages

Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Why I Started Blogging Again


This is a picture of my children when I started blogging about nine years ago. They are now 16 and 19. Unbelievable!

I decided to start a blog as a way to share our lives with our family after we moved away from our hometown.  This was before Facebook was the norm.  I had no idea that I would meet so many kindred spirits. I was even able to meet two blog friends in person when they traveled through the Nashville area.

We had just bought our house and I enjoyed the decorating ideas I could get from blogs. I also enjoyed keeping up with fellow homeschool families and finding new recipes from time to time. It was a wonderful community!

As Zach and Leah got older, I began to feel like I was invading their space by constantly snapping pictures of them so I started posting less about them which cut out a lot of material for my blog!

As Facebook became more and more popular, I decided to give it a try (again, so I could keep in touch with family and friends) and I loved how simple it was to communicate. I really enjoyed it for a while. My blog sort of fell by the wayside as I really didn't feel like I had much to say. I made it private and still enjoy having it as a scrapbook of all those years!

Over the last year or so, I have not been enjoying Facebook. I was absolutely wasting too much time on there. I honestly didn't realize just how much time. It had just become a habit. I felt like I had too much information flooding my brain from all the posts. Do I really need to know every detail of everyone's life?? The fake news, quizzes, articles and people arguing over things was becoming too much for me. It wasn't a positive way to spend time.

I even found myself judging others due to their posts. I'm not normally a judgemental person, but when people put certain things out there, it is just too easy to make judgements. Definitely not a good  thing to open myself up to.

In August, I decided to give up Facebook for a month. I wanted to renew my mind and get rid of all the mental clutter. I wanted to be more productive and stop wasting time mindlessly scrolling.

I started reading a few of my favorite simple living and homemaking blogs instead and found it to be MUCH more pleasant. I decided to start blogging again just about my every day life and this season I'm in now that I'm in my 40's.

I'll have to do another post about my social media break and what a positive experience that was, but for now, I'm just looking forward to my simple, unhurried blogging!

4 comments:

  1. Glad you did! :)

    I left facebook quite a while ago and am glad I did! It *is* addictive...and annoying! haha! :) I feel less anxious feeling like I have to keep up with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to blogging, I had FB once and it lasted one week, it was not for me. I found you through Wendy's blog (My Heart is always Home) Looking forward to getting to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you did!!!!
    I am so excited to read here and make a new friend. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I did the same thing a few years ago and felt the same you did. I also gave it up for a month and realized how much I didn't need it and the how much I missed blogging.

    ReplyDelete